Thursday, March 29, 2007

First tastes


This is my first-ever blog posting!

I've been a passionate NYC explorer for well over 20 years, focusing on food as the gateway to neighborhoods all over NYC. In the 1980s, I founded and co-led "gourmet bicycle tours" in the five boroughs. (Many people would say "gourmet" was a misnomer, but "delicious" was not!) In those days, touring Harlem, Bushwich and the boroughs was not trendy, but that's where we went.

I launched a newsletter, NoshNews (www.noshnews.com) in 1999 and a walking tour business (www.noshwalks.com) the following year. My book, Nosh New York, was published in 2003 by St. Martin's Press. I'm hoping to do an update soon, but, in the meantime, I thought I'd get this blog going. The "Nosh New York" image on my blog was the proposed design for my cover. I loved it and the final cover retains most of those elements.

Oh yes - NoshNews has been on hold since have 2004, when I began the looooong process of getting ready to move from an apartment I'd occupied for nearly 24 years to a larger place. I didn't realize how much moving would affect everything else in my life, including my publishing endeavors! Also, I changed computer systems... and have not fully gotten everything back on track. BUT NoshNews will resume shortly.

In the meantime, I will soon begin talking about various food discoveries I've found in neighborhoods around NYC. But it's early in the morning and I have to get ready for the "real job" I hold that supports my passion!

So this is just my first-cup-of-coffee greeting! (Oh, by the way, you can find the best, and cheapest, espresso in NYC at Gran Via Bakery on 5th Avenue in Sunset Park. Ooops, I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to run!)

Myra - your
Nosh New Yorler!

No comments: